Saturday, September 6, 2014

Starbucks Pay it Forward: How is this still a thing?

Today I started my morning by going to Starbucks to pick up a latte. I pulled into the drive thru, a few cars ahead of me, a few behind me blocking traffic.

I ordered my drink and was given the total. The line seemed to be moving extra slowly, but I tried to be patient, even though my dog was going nuts in anticipation of a puppacino.

When I finally reached the window, I was told that the gentleman ahead of me had paid for my order.

Seriously? Again?

How is this still a thing? Maybe it's just finally seeped into the Midwest from the coasts. I get it, it's probably kind of fun for the baristas to see how long of a run they can get.

But let's be honest. The only person who's being generous and charitable is the one who starts the whole thing going. The guy ahead of me pays for mine, I pay for the person behind me, and so on…

All the rest of us are paying and Starbucks is getting all their money.

I think I'm a reasonably generous person, but why is it that whenever I get trapped in one of these "pay it forward" lines, I buy a measly latte and the person behind me is picking up breakfast for the whole office?

No comments:

Post a Comment